E-mail MePhilip Marsh Hof
Philip M. Hof is a trial lawyer, one of the few lawyers in the Lehigh Valley who is a board-certified Civil Trial Specialist. Mr. Hof is a member of the County Bar Associations of both Northampton and Lehigh Counties. In practice since 1980, Mr. Hof represents individuals injured as the result of negligence or malpractice. His experience includes having served as law clerk for the Northampton County Court of Common Pleas and also serving as President of the Northampton County Bar Association. He is a governor of the Pennsylvania Association of Justice (Formerly known as the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association).
Mr. Hof has earned an av rating through Martindale Hubbell, the leading national lawyer directory, indicating the highest rating for competency and ethics that is awarded.
Mr. Hof has also been selected for inclusion in the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 editions of the Super Lawyers publication by Law & Politics and Philadelphia Magazine, and he was also recognized as 1 of the top 100 lawyers in Pennsylvania in 2010 and 2011. In April of 2004, Mr. Hof was recognized by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America for his pro bono representation before the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund of the family of an electrical engineer who perished when the Towers collapsed.
Mr. Hof has served and continues to serve as a faculty member for continuing education seminars for legal professionals, including seminars organized by the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Northampton County Bar Association, Bar Association of Lehigh County, Institute for Paralegal Education, and National Association of Insurance Women, Lehigh Valley.
In addition, Mr. Hof has significant experience with alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, and has been an approved mediatior and arbitrator for ADR Options, Inc. since February of 2011.
Mr. Hof lives in Palmer Township. He is married and has one son, two daughters, two grandsons, and two beloved Golden Retrievers. He enjoys running, having completed three New York City Marathons and, in 2007 and 2012, the Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon as a member of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team In Training. He has shared his professional time with community organizations including the Fund to Benefit Children and Youth, Inc., the Spring Garden Children's School, and the Valley Youth House of the Lehigh Valley.
Areas of Practice
- 75% Personal Injury
- 15% Medical Malpractice
- 10% Commercial Litigation
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1995
- Pennsylvania, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1982
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- J.D. - 1980
- Law Review: University of Tulsa Law Review, Member, 1978 - 1980
- Long Island University, Greenvale, New York
- B.A.magna cum laude - 1977
- Major: Philosophy
- Michael Andretti
- Mario Andretti
- Night Vision Depot, Inc.
- Enter.net, Inc.
- What's It Worth: Evaluating & Settling Personal Injury Cases, Pennsylvania Association of Justice, March 9, 2012 - Present
- Joint and Several Liability, Pennsylvania Association of Justice, July 28, 2011 - Present
- Tort Reform, Medical Malpractice & Joint and Several Liability, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", January 26, 2011 - Present
- Liability Avoidance, Annual I-Day Conference of Insurance Professionals, November 4, 2010 - Present
- Automobile Insurance and Wrongful Death & Survival Actions, Northampton County Community College, People's Law School, October 7, 2010 - Present
- Use of Technology in Witness Cross Examination, Donald E. Wieand Barristers' Inns of Court, September 22, 2010 - Present
- Panel Chair, Federal Practice, Pitfalls and Tips: Law Clerks Spill All, Northampton County Bar Association, May 5, 2010 - Present
- Panel Chair, Injunction and Equity Practice, Northampton County Bar Association, October 16, 2009 - Present
- Tort Reform: Better Medicine or Justice Denied?, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", November 12, 2008 - Present
- Panel Chair: E-Discovery and Computer Forensics, Northampton County Bar Association, September 24, 2008 - Present
- Recent Trends in Tort Reform and Civil Litigation, WFMZ-TV "Business Matters", January 5, 2008 - Present
- Medical Malpractice Avoidance, Northampton County Medical Society, November 12, 2007 - Present
- Medicare Subrogation, Northampton County Bar Association, April 18, 2007 - Present
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers of PA, 2006 - 2012
- "AV" Rating - Martindale
- Northampton County Pro Bono Award, 2008 - Present
- Top 100 Lawyers in Pennsylvania, 2010 - Present
- Top 100 Lawyers in Pennsylvania, 2011 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Northampton County Bar Association, 1980 - Present
- Northampton County Bar Association, President, 1983 - Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 1980 - Present
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice (formerly Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association), Board of Governors, 2001 - Present
- American Association for Justice, 1985 - Present
- Bar Association of Lehigh County
- Donald E. Wieand Barristers' Inn of Court
- Bar Association of Lehigh County, Medical Society
Past Employment Positions
- County of Northampton, Judicial Law Clerk, 1980 - 1981
- County of Northampton, Asst District Attorney, 1982 - 1986
Pro Bono Activities
- Northampton County Pro Bono Award, 2008
- Recognized by American Association for Justice for Pro Bono help to WTC Victims for the World Trade Center